Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tomfoolery and 13 Yule Lads Of Iceland

Congratulations to my dear friend Wendy Nystrom on the release of her new book Tomfoolery and 13 Yule Lads of Iceland! I've been a huge huge fan of hers for a long time! My daughter loves reading her books, and can seriously get lost in the stories that Wendy weaves. My favorite character is Matthias the blue dragon, he's just so cool. I'd love to have a dragon as a friend! She is an awesome author with a huge heart and a great friend to all who know her. She's also very knowledgeable on all things Iceland! I absolutely love her!

Make sure to stop by her event today and congratulate her!





My Review:

James is at it again! After a harrowing adventure with the Old Hag the Yule Lads come and stay with James in his bedroom at night! I can tell you he is a very patient host. The Yule Lads are noisy and messy, I'm particular to Pot Scraper, Spoon Licker, and Bowl Licker they remind me of my son who LOVES to eat and is skinny and tall. Tomfoolery and the 13 Yule Lads of Iceland is a story that is great fun, and had me laughing so hard. Wendy's done it again telling an amazing tale of friendship, love and of course Tomfoolery. If you have kids or if you're a kid at heart you're going to love this story!



And now for the awesome interview!



         What is the main inspiration for your children's books?

My children and love of adventure. When I was home schooling my son we noticed not a lot adventure stories in the elementary age books in 2009
 
      Are any of the characters based on real people?

All my characters are based on people in my life. James of course is my son, Syvok has traits of my friend Kristin from Iceland, Matthias my friend’s son from Texas.

 
Matthias is my favorite character who is yours?

I love them all. They are created with people I love.  I do love Helga because when needed she breaks the rules.  I do like Matthias too.
 
Which of your books is your favorite or do you have a favorite?

Tomfoolery  is my favorite.  I do love the 4th book that is in the editing stage Amongst the Clouds.
      
Who is your favorite author?

 Anne McCaffrey.
 
 
Who inspires you the most they can be living or dead and they can be one or many?

People who have touched my life

     What in your description is a Yule Lad?

A yule lad is friendly troll who likes to have fun.



          How did you come up with this cute character?

Reading Icelandic folklore or sagas. Icelanders love to read and get together. They love to share their culture.  It is a magical relaxed place that loves children.
   
 
Do you engage in Tomfoolery, (I love that word!)

 Will never Tomfoolery and tell.  I love the word too. Just saying it means fun. I do like to have fun.

  I like the word whimsical too. I like to think that my books are Whimsical fantasy adventures.
      
You write such imaginative and awesome series, what can we look forward to? Will there be more adventures for James, Matthias , and Helga?
My 4th book Amongst the clouds will have Helga. Matthais is always in the books. Who else will keep James and Syvok out of harm’s way.
   
Which of these adventures would you live in if you could?

Amongst the Clouds. I add a wonderful new character.

Who is your illustrator?

Jim Weidman was the illustrator for James Saves the Moon. I met after looking at a Sci-Fi Website. He did covers for the publisher. I clicked on his name and looked at his work. Then I took a chance and emailed him and he said yes. He retired after doing my book. My second illustrator Kelly Murray was recommended to me by her Dad. We worked on some local school events together. She graduated from local University Ferris State where he dad and my husband teach. I asked her to make me a cover and l like her work. She now does all my books. So glad the publisher, Anchor Group Publishing liked her work as well so I could keep working with her. She is getting better with every book. 



Author Bio:

Wendy Nystrom is a published author with Anchor Group Publishing, a wife, and a mother of three wonderful children. Wendy grew up in St. Paul, MN, and has lived at different points in her life in Minnesota, Texas, Idaho, Colorado, West Virginia, and Iceland. She currently resides in Michigan (USA). Wendy is an avid reader of many different genres; she love adventures; and devotes some of her time to being active in schools, the local library, and other community projects. She earned a BA in Geography concentration Urban Planning at Texas State University. Wendy began writing children stories in 2005 while living in the wonderful country of Iceland. Her writing style is, Imagine yourself sitting around a campfire deep in the mountains with a huge moon above. The mountain outlined all around while the story teller weaves a tale of adventure with a splash of fun as a pebble skips across the water.

Books – Genre Children
James Saves the Moon
Helga Returns
Tomfoolery and 13 Yule Lads of Iceland

Urban Fantasy
New Moon Brethren --- Blaze the Dragon in  Paranormal Gone Awry: An anthology

No comments:

Post a Comment